Saturday, February 18, 2012

I'm making a game and want to upload concept art to Facebook. Do I retain my copyrights to the content?

Working on a game as part of a homemade independent studio. If I upload concept art to Facebook, will I retain my copyrights or will the content become part of the public domain/Creative Commons?|||Read the Creative Commons act, and Facebook terms and conditions VERY carefully.|||It is not that simple to "accidentally" lose you copyright ownership. You must INTENTIONALLY record your donation of all of your rights to the public. Simply publishing your work on the internet has nothing to do with losing any of your exclusive rights under the copyright law -- you have simply given everyone in the entire universe a limited license to download and view a copy for their own private purposes.





You do NOT have to give anyone the right to further upload or other distribution of your works and you can CERTAINLY register your copyright at any time and sue anyone who is using your works in any non-licensed way.





Just because something is on the web does not make it "public domain". Just because I park my car on the street does not mean it's yours for the taking. Just because I leave my house unlocked does not mean everyone is invited in to take away anything they like.|||If you have your own copyrights on it then your fine, if you don't its fair game to anyone online

No comments:

Post a Comment