Saturday, February 18, 2012

Do you think I can get into game design with a Studio Art & Graphic Design degree?

I have all these great ideas for computer games (competitive online game style games with themes) but when I look up things about "Graphic Design" I see it being more about people making advertisements and labels.





I'd hate to think I am wasting my time by getting this degree.|||yes|||u can do anything you put your mind to|||Its a very hard industry. The short answer is maybe. Be prepared for long hours and working weekends though. I have a friend of a friend that works at Blur in LA. I went and visited him on a Sunday at the office. Over half the employees were there working.|||Have you just started college? The best way to ensure you know all that you need to know to work in the game design field is to be in a video game design program (they do exist) or possibly consider animation as a major. You're right; graphic design is more about a static image (ads, business cards, websites) rather than a moving image like a video/computer game. Your best bet is to get into the animation program or add it as a minor. After graduation, potential employers will want to see a portfolio of your work, and in your case, you want a portfolio of short clips rather than a portfolio of ads.





Also, try asking your professors the kinds of programs a game designer may use on a daily basis and start working with those programs in your free time. Your major may not matter so much as long as you can prove familiarity with the techniques and the most popular programs a game designer uses.

No comments:

Post a Comment