Wednesday, February 15, 2012

What kind of contract do I need to own art by an artist I pay?

I want to pay an artist to draw some characters for an iPhone game.


I want to sell the game, so the art will be used commercially.


What kind of contract do I need? Rights to media, rights for commercial use, ect.


I want to pay the artist one time, and I don't want to get sued for royalties.





Can anyone point me in the right direction. Is there a generic contract out there?|||A plain English worded contract that assigns YOU, by name, ALL rights to the specific work you are paying for.





Repeat: ALL rights.





For some starter contract form (for you to modify as needed) do a search for a site called, " 'Lectric Law Library."





Remember, courts will recognize plainly worded contracts without dripping "legalese" phrasings, as long as the terms are clear and simple.





Keep in mind that an artist who gives up his copyrights should get paid significantly more that he might get for licensing images for specific use. In other words, by assigning you all rights, he gives up any future income he might get from the work. (which is what you want)|||I am not a lawyer. I think if you get a written release for said specific drawings detailing what they are and get him to sign and date an artist release you would be covered. Be sure he understands what you are using them for so there is no coming back asking for residuals.

No comments:

Post a Comment