Thursday, January 26, 2012

If I can't afford College, How else can I learn Video Game Concept Art Techniques?

So i took Fine Arts for 4 years and get my degree in 2 months. BUT near the end of it found that I would rather do art for video games or TV.

However, my University doesn't teach you how to make a portfolio. (they instead teach you where to find food when you starve)

I have the skills already to paint, traditionally and digitally, but lack the knowledge on what Concept artists are looking for in a portfolio.



Any tutorials, suggestions or sites you can hook me up with?If I can't afford College, How else can I learn Video Game Concept Art Techniques?
The thing that art and trade schools don't tell you up front is that you can get their entire education of the net for free. You just need to know where to look. If you already fill comfortable with fine arts you're well on your way. I'm not sure if you already are aware, but some sites to check out are www.conceptart.org and www.cgsociety.org. I would go ahead and make a portfolio on CG society. Its a pretty legit place to ask for help and get your work critted by pros.



That said, games are an extremely competitive industry. Most studios do not not hire entry level concept artists. Keep in mind that you are also competing with guys that have 10 years of experience and a ton of triple A titles under their belts. A lot of people work their way up from being something else such as a 3D modeler or animator. Your best bet is to pick up some additional skills such as 3D or story boarding. Heck, your first job might not even be in games but cartoons on TV.



You'll need a website and a digital reel. Very rarely do companies accept hard copy media anymore. Here's an example from an animation student who's now working as a concept artist:



http://www.etoli.net/demo.html



For more info on 3D "barrow" a copy of 3Ds Max or Maya and look for basic tutorials on you-tube or Google. For 3D check out www.3dtotal.com and www.polycount.com

No comments:

Post a Comment